About National Contact Point
The National Contact Point (NCP) for Cross-border Healthcare, maintaining active cooperation with public organisations providers of healthcare services and health insurers, guarantees the successful enforcement of the patients’ rights to cross-border healthcare services.
The functions of the National Contact Point for Cross-border Healthcare in the Republic of Lithuania are assigned to:
- The State Health Care Accreditation Agency under the Ministry of Health (www.vaspvt.gov.lt);
- The National Health Insurance Fund under the Ministry of Health (www.vlk.lt).
The NCP provides information to residents of the European Union ad other countries related to the patient’s rights to high quality and timely healthcare services offered at the national level or in other Member States of the EU and other countries. Each patient should be treated according to the principle of non-discrimination on the grounds of citizenship.
The National Contact Point for Cross-border Healthcare shall provide the information concerning:
- availability, quality and safety of healthcare services;
- health insurance cover;
- prices of health care services;
- prices of medicines;
- possibilities of reimbursement of the prices of healthcare services or medicines,
- providers of healthcare services,
- pharmacies authorised to perform pharmaceutical activities;
- the right of the specific provider of healthcare services to provide services or any restrictions on its practice,
- standards of healthcare services,
- patients’ rights, complaints procedures and mechanisms for seeking remedies,
- legal and administrative options available to settle disputes, including in the event of harm arising from cross-border healthcare,
- particulars of contact points of other Member States of the European Union,
- other matters related to the safety of the patients’ rights.
The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Lithuania (www.sam.lt) hopes that this Internet website of the National Contact Point for Cross-border Healthcare will help residents of Lithuania and guests arriving to our country to get a better understanding of the healthcare in the EU and will guarantee the implementation of the fundamental right of the individual – the right to health.
Let’s strengthen health together!